Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Nosy Parent

Life is too short to give up on your dreams. We all have our slumps and the kids do too. But, faith, perseverence, and a strong support system can make you climb mountains. Recently, there have been several child suicides that have truly made me think "What pain are these children going through in order for them to take their life?" I have never been in this situation, but my heart goes out to the parents and family members.

So, what can we do? Of course, be a nosy parent. Some parents choose to be hands off as their children get older. I am just the opposite. I try to involve myself with everything that affects my children. I do lots of listening and less talking. After all children like to talk to each other. Let them talk...you'll find out everything you want to know.

When the children want to hang out they all come to Mrs. Donna's house. Sure, I am open to that. Then, I can see and hear what they are doing and who/what they are talking about? As the kids say "I want to be in the know". I don't mind having a bunch of kids at or around my house as long as they are respectful and well-behaved. You have to earn a childs trust they don't just give it to you. Here are some tips from the nosy parent:

  • Talk to your child about their day at school...ask open ended questions

  • Talk to your child's friends about school

  • Communicate with the teacher...after all he/she is with your children during their most productive hours of the day (email, a note in the bag, conference).

  • Get involved with your child's school...serve on a committee, the PTA, attend social functions

  • Read what your child writes at school in their journal or at home through pictures. Words/pictures are a powerful thing.

  • Talk with the siblings. Someone is bound to release information.

  • Have a relationship with the parents...you never know when you will need to call on them.

  • Show up to the school unexpectedly. Go to the class room, playground, lunch room, etc.

  • Have lunch with your child (this will not go over well after 5th grade)

  • Take immediate action when you see there is a problem.

  • Follow-up with the administration to find out what steps were taken.

  • If the administration doesn't resolve the problem then go to the next level (teacher, principal, school board, congressman.

  • Do not let the problem fester. You may need to remove your child from that situation.

  • Do whatever it takes to protect your child...make your presence known.
and by all means NEVER GIVE UP!

Let your child know they are destined for great things. Be proud of who you are and always strive for success.

I'd love to hear what you do to be a nosy parent. We parents have to stick together!


No comments: